Thursday, September 22, 2005

Stickin' Around

My family and I will be staying in Houston for the upcoming events surrounding Hurricane Rita, and I thought now would be as good a time as any to start using this blogspace.

I hope I can provide my friends who are not nearby with some information about what its like on the ground here and help to elucidate some of what you may be seeing on TV or the 'various internets'.

I would like for the blog to keep up on a few topics including:
-What its like in a city evacuating itself and bunkering down for category five hurricane
-The experiences of those who are leaving town
-The weather
-The way different people will be experiencing this hurricane, evacuation, and aftermath, especially the elderly, the poor, and Spanish and Vietnamese speakers

The law school closed yesterday at noon, so many of the other future attorneys and counselors and I went to El Pueblito for Margaritas. Some of us really overstayed their lunch hour and played guitar and sang Willie Nelson and Peter, Paul and Mary songs, but I don't want to name any names.

Many of my Montrose neighbors are staying put, and the opinion of the 'spit and whittle club' that has assembled down the block is that homes should be fine but that cars should be kept pretty high up.

Many of my friends have headed out of town for San Antonio, Austin, and the Metroplex. (Those of you not from Texas may have previously thought of the Metroplex as Dallas/Fort Worth. This is not the preferred name among those who live there, as many of a third of whom live in neither Dallas nor Fort Worth, while those two cities themselves are thirty miles apart and don't really watch each other's TV stations or read each other's newspapers.) Those who have headed for the countryside and towns as far away as 100 miles to the West or 200 miles to the North will probably not be far enough away to avoid the storm!

After our home was flooded during Tropical Storm Allison in 2001, we rebuilt it at the same location. To comply with building codes and federal flood insurance requirements, it was raised six feet from the ground level. This puts it out of the 100 year flood plain of Brays Bayou. Mom and Dad have a sloped driveway that goes up the six feet to the house, so many of our friends and neighbors are bringing their cars over to try and keep them out of the street.

I just spilled an entire cup of cold coffee on myself, so between that, the more than 45 minutes it is taking to get an english muffin here at Cafe Artiste, the fact that I went to four gas stations before I found one with any gas, and the third strongest hurricane ever recorded heading for me, almost all of my loved ones, and our homes, it's official:

***I'm having a bad day***

My grandparents live in a highrise. They will be staying on the information that the building was constructed to be able to stand up to this kind of storm and they have an emergency generator on the premises.

My Aunt and Uncle have two people staying with them. My Uncle went to Galveston earlier in the week to bring his mother in to town. Another aunt and uncle still have a family of six Katrina evacuees staying at their house.

Her are a few other local blogs that may help to flesh out the situation for you:

Houston's Clear Thinkers / Tom Kirkendall
Greg's Opinion / Greg Wythe
Houston Strategies / Tory Gattis

As of 8 this morning, the grocery stores still had plenty of food, but were rather low on bread. I suspect that this is because bread is supplied to them more frequently than the rest of their stock, but it was pretty wild to see so many empty shelves while everything else was basically full.

More posts coming soon. Everyone please post comments, ask questions, email the link around, and keep Southeast Texas in your prayers,

---Adam

4 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this. Good luck!

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam, i'm glad you're doing this blog. Keep us informed about the situation on the ground in H town. I was going out of town this weekend even before the Hurricane came. I'm going to a river in the Hill country with some friends. Right now i'm in college station. It took me 7 1/2 hours to drive hear after I left El Puablitos yesterday; it should take 1 1/2. The traffic kinda made me wish I would've just stayed back and looted like I know you're going to do. Well good luck down there and we'll be praying for all of ya'll still in Houston.

James

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just an update from Adam's mom (Linda)- Uncle Duck and Aunt Martha, Sam & Ilana and the New Orleans family of 6 who were staying w/ them left for Ft. Worth this am, where they have friends w/ an extra house. They left at 8 am and were at Spring (50 miles away) at 11:30.

Monica & Warren (Adam's first cousins)& their 2 little daughters left last night at 3:30 am for Austin and arrived safely before noon - a little over 8 hours (usually done in 2 1/2 hours).

Our neighbors who will be staying w/ us bought a generator and set it up this am at our house, so we will have refrigeration. So, I went to the grocery store for a final run. I had to walk w/ someone who was checking out to their car to get their basket. It was a zoo inside w/ empty shelves, crowded aisles and boxes of food that were on the shelves left for the customers to open and take. The wait in line was a pleasant 20 minutes, spent hearing and sharing Rita "preparation plans".

When I came home, I felt like I had been on a hunting trip!

Our street is eerily quiet w/ people either gone out of town or inside their homes preparing -moving books, albums and valuable items to higher shelves. And the street is very clean - no trash cans, no recycling bins - even all the political signs have been temporarily removed.

No doubt the proverbial calm before the storm..............

We expect several neighbors (20 - 35??) to come to us since we are 6 1/2 feet off the ground. I just hope I can get a good mah jongg game out of the group! (Always important to keep a good sense of humor during stressful times!)
Linda Block

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Adam's cousin Cindy writing from Santa Fe, NM. I'm concerned about all my loved ones in Houston and I'm happy to hear everyone's plans. May all be safe and secure.
Cindy Freedman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home